- 2006: Economic and Social Research Council: International Oil and Gas Security (£35,000)
- 2003/4: the Institute of Energy Economics of Japan/ the Ministry of Economics, Trade and Industry of Japan (US$50,000), Strategies for achieving ASEAN + 3 energy co-operation
- 2001: International Institute for Strategic Studies (£10,000), Strategic Implications of China’s Energy Needs.
- 2001: British Academy (£10,000), Strategic Implications of China’s Energy Needs.
- 2000: European Commission and China’s State Development Planning Commission, 300,000 Euros. Introducing competition in China’s power sector.
- 1999: Nuffield Foundation, £5,800. Regulation of China’s local coal mines.
- 1998: European Commission, 270,000 Euros, Energy Policy and Structure in China.
- 1997: Nuffield Foundation, £4700, Impact on consumers of China’s power reforms.
International energy and resources policy, with a focus on China